Sat, 11 Dec|
Learn to Play the Gong (Online Workshop - Starts 11th December)
If you've been thinking about learning to play the gong, this is your chance: we are launching a group online training designed to kick-start your gong playing journey. Learn all about the science & history of sound healing, gong playing techniques, and guidance on selecting your very own gong.
Time & Location
11 Dec 2021, 15:00 GMT – 22 Jan 2022, 17:00 GMT
About the Event
Anyone can learn to play the gong, no prior music or meditation experience is required. Gong playing is a great way to learn to meditate on your own, or you can kick start your journey to becoming a gong meditation practitioner with this workshop.
The gong player and practitioner training we offer is divided into two parts, both of which include theory and practice:
- Part 1: Learning to Play the Gong introduces you to the history, theory and science of gong meditation, and includes an overview of playing techniques as well as practice time with the gong
- Part 2: Hosting a Gong Bath is designed for those who want to go further and learn to facilitate gong baths.
Combined, Parts 1 and 2 are a first step towards qualifying to deliver gong baths at the GONG studio, or to incorporating gong meditation into your personal or professional activities.
This workshop is for Part 1, and it will be hosted online via Zoom. The benefit of the online format is that you can learn and practice directly with your own gong at home, which will allow you to play around with and optimize your personal set up. It is a focused, practical, and interactive workshop.
Dates: Saturday 11 December 3–5pm GMT & Saturday 22 January 3-5pm GMT
The intention is to use the gap in between dates to find the right gong for you and allow time for it to arrive. (Many gongs are available with fast shipping - the first gong I purchased arrived to my Central London flat within 24 hours of ordering! However, it's important to take time to browse and reflect on the right one for you.)
In addition to these weekend workshops, you will also have an optional 30 minute mentoring call with me after the workshop to address any personal questions, concerns or other topics you might like to get more guidance on.
Here is what the training will cover:
Introduction to the Gong & Sound Meditation
- History of the Gong & Gong Baths
- Science of Sound Meditation (mental & physical benefits)
- Types of Gongs & Mallets
Introduction to Playing the Gong
- Gong Playing 101
- The Four “i’s” of Gong Playing
- Stroke Techniques
- Creating a Soundscape
Group & Individual Practice
- Group & Individual Practice during workshop
- Additional Individual Practice Time (self-study with guidance)
- Private 1-1 training call with Selma
Theory, Science, History & Gong Types
Gong Playing Techniques & Practice*